Job Title: Thrift House Associate
Reports to: Thrift House Manager, Thrift House Assistant Manager and Thrift House Committee Chairs
Hours: 18 hour work week including most Saturdays; Must have flexible schedule to fulfill store needs.
Responsible for providing assistance in conducting the daily effective and profitable operations of the Junior League of Evanston-North Shore (JLE-NS) Thrift House, communicating and interacting with co-workers and JLE-NS leadership team and member volunteers, helping facilitate a positive working and shopping environment for customers, JLE-NS member volunteers and staff; and generating funds for the JLE-NS.
Essential responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Sales and Store Merchandising
• Ensure stock is rotated regularly and merchandise is organized and displayed to maximize sales.
• Ability to recognize valuable donations, including conducting appropriate research so that items can be properly priced.
• Maintain the basement organization for storing out-of-season merchandise.
• Participate in and help promote special events and sales as scheduled.
• Price and stock merchandise in accordance with Thrift House merchandise pricing guidelines.
2. Volunteer Supervision and Training
• Assist Thrift House Manager and Assistant Manager to provide training as needed to volunteers. Training includes customer service, sorting, tagging, pricing, stocking, maintenance and store organization.
• Assist, as needed, in coordination with Thrift House Chairs to provide volunteer staffing for special events, such as bag sales and Fall/Spring openings.
• Respect and comply with the Thrift House Employee Expectations document.
• Open and close the store, including batch and balancing till, bank deposits, security checks, merchandising checks and maintenance.
• Maintain a clean, attractive, organized and safe work environment throughout the Thrift House. This includes but is not limited to, vacuuming, dusting and emptying garbage on a daily basis.
• Maintain cash handling procedures and standards to record, balance and deposit daily sales. Report and document any variances in cash.
• Assist with maintenance and upkeep of all office equipment, including but not limited to, printer, desktop computer(s) and cash register.
• When closing the store, secure store premises.
• Maintain confidentiality as position requires.
• Report any workplace incidents in a timely fashion.
4. Customer Service
• Greet customers and show them to appropriate area of interest.
• Represent the JLE-NS in a professional and courteous manner at all times. Provide quality service to customers, JLE-NS member volunteers and staff recognizing their individual contribution to the success of our organization.
• Ensure customer concerns are addressed in a timely and professional manner. Refer customer concerns to the Manager or Assistant Manager, as needed.
• Assess and inform the JLE-NS Thrift House Committee Chairs of any special donation needs.
• Ensure donation receipts and JLE-NS brochures are supplied to donors.
• Organize and maintain donation and storage areas.
• Assist with incoming donations, including accompanying donors to vehicles when needed.
• Evaluate and ensure quality of inventory by adhering to merchandise standards and preventing damage to donated goods.
• Donate unacceptable donations, in accordance with the JLE-NS standards, to other organizations, such as Salvation Army or Wipeco.
• Principles and practices of retail management
• Communicate clearly and concisely, including oral and written presentations.
• Be flexible as day to day operations may change
• Display sound organizational skills and following directions
• Prioritize, organize and manage multiple projects
• Demonstrate strong people skills
• Ability to be a team player who values other people’s ideas and input
• Have an appreciation for the JLE-NS organization and their mission to help the community
• Exhibit a professional demeanor and compelling customer service attitude
• Display a high-level of energy and dependable, strong work ethic
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or retail management preferred, but not necessary. Retail experience is a plus.
You must maintain the physical condition necessary for standing and sitting for prolonged periods of time; able to lift objects weighing up to 35 pounds; able to travel locally; Must have a valid Illinois Driver’s License.